[lug] knoppix style cd for cd burns?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon May 31 15:21:35 MDT 2004

I don't have a cd burner in my computer, but I borrow my parents' for
that at times. Unfortunately, they use Win2k and due to system lockups,
they are restricted to which burner software they use (it is an HP
burner). The software which they have which does not crash the system
can save files to the cd, but cannot create an iso from an iso. Meaning
if I have disk1.iso, it goes onto the cd as disk1.iso *file*, and isn't
really an iso that is bit-per-pit that file. So I am thinking about
whether there is any knoppix style distro that can use the HP cd writer,
and also read NTFS? If so, I could boot under that cd and create ISO's
of iso images on the NT filesystem. Anyone here know of a good
all-in-1-cd for doing this without actually installing linux?
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with them, and in order to get
the cd, I'd have to do something like order it from cheapbytes, so I
need to know ahead of time exactly what works.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net