[lug] Dual-booting FC1 with WinXP on the second HD

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jun 1 14:19:19 MDT 2004

Michael Belanger wrote:

> I don't think Windows will let you do that.. It MUST be on the primary
> partition of the first disk.

Nonsense.  I have set up a machine with Win2k installed on both the
first and second partitions.  I could boot either using the Win boot loader.

I haven't done what BOF wants to but here's what I would try:  Have a
boot floppy standing by.  Boot the XP setup disk (home or professional?
  It may matter.)  See if it shows the free partition as a choice and
format and install to it.

If XP supports what you want it will be an obvious selection.  If not,
it probably isn't worth fooling with.  It may help to mark the partition
as NTFS before you start (or not).

You may also find that XP blasts your MBR so you want a boot floppy
based on your current {lilo|grub}.conf.  If the MBR goes away, boot from
the floppy and reinstall it (with appropriate entry added for the XP
partition).

If you keep track of what you do it'd be nice to see a summary here.

Dave