[lug] Re: DDNS update-style

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Wed Jun 2 08:14:34 MDT 2004

Dave Hepworth wrote:

| DDNS update-style
|
| Warren
|
| Did you ever solve your issue with using DHCP ddns-update-style?
|
| I am experiencing the same behaviour with using interim  IP is
| allocated, DNS is sent in the packet to a windows box, but DNS is
| not written on the windows client.
|
| Dave

What I have since found was that our old Cisco router (equivalent to a
486 processor I guess) was acting up due to a recent bandwidth upgrade
to 512.  This happened to be the limit as we are also using NAT with
this router.  Since upgrading to a newer router we have not had any
random problems including this NS issue.  I am still using ad-hoc
instead of interim... works for me.  Will see what happens when I
switch over to RHEL soon. too

| ---8<---
|
| I have an internal resolving/caching DNS pretending to be
| authoritative to
|
| our domain from those on the LAN.  Using DHCP I am updating this NS
|
| dynamically with the 'ddns-update-style interim;' in dhcpd.conf.
|
| In the past I have had trouble with the NS not resolving after a period
|
| of time.  It would only resolve inside addys and nothing on the
|
| Internet.  So I started from scratch.  Previously I was using ad-hoc and
|
| that seemed to work great except for NS quiting outside res.  I changed
|
| to interim because The Official Red Hat Linux Customization Guide says
|
| ad-hoc has been deprecated and recommended to use interim.
|
| Problem with interim is that it seems to only register pre-win2k.  I see
|
| the w2k boxes getting their address and renewing fine, but it's not
|
| writing to the DNS.
|
| On another note, the NS is still stopping once a week or so resolving
|
| outside addresses.  Much better still since it's not within the previous
|
| 10 minute stint.  I test this by doing a nslookup <host> and find who
|
| gives me the answer; my NS or the secondary ISP's NS.  Restarting named
|
| and retesting after a few seconds always works.
|
| My problems? Internet problems? Both? Need sample configs?
|
| Red Hat 9
|
| bind-9.2.1-16
|
| dhcp-3.0pl1-23
|
| kernel-smp-2.4.20-18.9