[lug] supporting XP "network places" under Linux

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Jun 3 14:34:47 MDT 2004

Has anyone managed to support WinXP "network places" under Linux?

I tried mod_dav.  It supports "web folders" under Win98 (and
something else), but my boss has been unable to connect to it
using WinXP.  I think he found documentation that Microsoft made
some incompatible changes in Win2k or WinXP.  (Don't you just love
how Windows is one big happy OS and everything always works
exactly the same across all releases?!)

I've also tried the FrontPage extensions, but FP2000 isn't
installing itself in virtual servers and FP2002 just isn't
working.  (The bundled - and ancient - Apache server doesn't
appear to support mod_ssl or mod_php, and applying the
mod_frontpage patch causes a segmentation violation when serving
any page.)

TIA

Bear