[lug] 2 IPs, one DSL

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sat Jun 5 16:44:26 MDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 11:23, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> We have a small linux network that is currently using a single external IP
> address, which is assigned to the Linksys router. Appropriate ports are then
> forwarded to the machine which serves as our mail and web server.
>
> We would like to begin using 2 IP addresses while retaining the single DSL
> into our office.
>
> Is there a good, reasonably current source online that discusses hardware and
> software configurations and security considerations for a set-up like this?

Just to be sure I've understood, you want to have two separate machines
behind the DSL line?  I'm assuming you want your web server on one
machine and your mail server on a different machine but that you still
only have one external IP address.

If that is the case, it should be as easy as forwarding port 25 (and any
others that are appropriate to your mail set up) to the mail host and
port 80/443 to the web host.

If you mean your DSL service gives you two external ip addresses and now
you want to start using the second ip, then you could do a variety of
things.  You could leave your office set up like it is and put the
web/mail host outside the router on the second ip.

You could set up a separate network for the second external ip
(essentially creating a DMZ of sorts) and just put the web/mail servers
behind a second router.

Hugh