[lug] individual frames from AVI file?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jun 8 09:04:26 MDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 03:20, Tkil wrote:
> Stupid question time.
>
> I recently got a Canon PowerShot S400 "Digital Elph" camera.  It has
> two movie modes, either 320x240 or 640x480, both at 15 frames per
> second.  I believe the output format is MJPEG, in an AVI container:

> What tools can I use to decompose these streams into individual
> frames?  I have found various references to using the avi* and tc*
> programs, but the closest I've gotten is having it biff at the
> non-standard frame rate.
>
> My eventual goal is to extract about 2 seconds of video at about the
> format, really); do some smoothing, posterization, quantization, then
> rebuilding them into a small animated GIF.

Transcode.  It's a command line tool for video files in the same way
ImageMagick is for single image files.  Very powerful editor.  There are
a number of front ends (GUIs) for it which you can find on its links
page:
http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/#links

I've used this for DVD ripping using dvd::rip.

Transcode is at
http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com