[lug] comcast and multiple IPs

Mr Viggy viggy at peakpeak.com
Tue Jun 8 17:53:40 MDT 2004

A couple people I work with got the same letter.  They all (I have DSL)
came to the conclusion that this is a scare tactic by Comcast.

Basically, if you have a firewall that also does NAT, you *are* only
getting one IP address from them.  There's no real way they can tell
that you have multiple computers.  It looked like Comcast was offering
some wireless modem thingy, and that *would* count the wireless
connections that you used.  But, if you don't have that (or can disable
it) then you should be okay.

The suggestion at work was to get yourself a firewall that does NAT, and
put all your computers behind that.  Mine happens to be a Slackware
Linux box in my basement!

:-)

Viggy