[lug] comcast and multiple IPs

Neil Doane caine at antediluvian.org
Wed Jun 9 16:20:43 MDT 2004

* George Sexton (gsexton at mhsoftware.com), on [06-09-04 08:04], wrote:
> Let's face it. The Comcast IP's are some of the most heavily probed out
> there. Bad guys know that there is a whole class A full of unsecured
> machines that are hanging out there in the breeze. If you consider that
> you can buy a cheapie cable router for about $40.00, or turn an old
> Linux machine into a firewall/router, it's really inexcusable to not do
> this.

And probably this, which is what I do:
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s 24.0.0.0/8 -j DROP
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s 67.166.0.0/16 -j DROP

> I have Linux router with about 5 machines behind it, and I haven't seen
> any letter.

I have a Linux router with alot of machines behind it and I haven't seen any
Comcast packets. ;)  (If anyone else knows any networks Comcast uses I can
block, please let me know...since I put in those rules, my snort logs have
never been cleaner. :)

Neil