[lug] comcast and multiple IPs

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jun 10 06:25:56 MDT 2004

Dan Ferris wrote:
> We have had multiple Comcast Technicians out to our house to fix various
> problems.  They know we have a router.  They don't give a damn.  Our
> router is nice enough to allow you to put in whatever MAC address we
> want.  As far as they could tell, we have a PC connected to them with a
> 3com ethernet card. :-)

The techs are not the ones that charge more, the tech support phone line
does that. The cable modems record MAC addresses. Depending on how your
router is set up, it could be the IP is assigned to the router, and then
it proxies for each machine; in that case you have only 1 address. In
the case of normal routing, the router is assigned an IP address, and
each NIC connected to the router is also assigned an IP address...in
that case calling tech support would result in paying more fees, as they
extract the info from the cable modem (you'll end up paying for the IP
of the router itself as well as the end machines). If you have a bridge
and not a router, then each end machine gets an IP and the modem records
each machine's MAC, but the bridge has no IP or visible MAC and is left
out of the fees. Calling tech support has a default procedure of them
checking MAC's on the cable modem, then comparing it to billing; they
won't help you till they decide if you are being billed enough. Going
through a year of hell is no excuse to not having your rates raised 4
times by altering terms of the contract. The actual techs are the only
ones there with a clue about quality, everyone else is the long arm of
the billing department, no matter how it is labelled.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net