[lug] Setting Locale

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Tue Jun 22 10:12:17 MDT 2004

I've upgraded one of my Linux boxes and in the process have evidently
created some problems with the locale settings.  I'm thinking that I
originally installed with the default "C" locale, but during the upgrade
changed to US-english.  Now for example when I run man I get the
following:

   (null): can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
   Reformatting locale(1)

I'm not too sure how to fix this.

On a possibly related note, it seems that e-mail with certain character
sets, usually Windows-1251 or UTF will create characters on my X-terminal
that become permanent requiring me to kill and restart the terminal.  Any
ideas?

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)

                            ISART 2005
       International Symposium on Advanced Radio Technologies
         http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.php