[lug] OT: wiring a house for ethernet

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jun 28 10:38:59 MDT 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 10:05 am, Ryan Wheaton wrote:

[Snip]

> the new house, I'd like to have a more "professional" job -- you know,
> with eth outlets in the walls, instead of running cables under carpets
> and such.  Any ideas on the best way to go about this, or how the pros
> really do it?  I haven't been able to locate any kind of crawl space
> under the house, and finding an attic may not help me cause most of the
> rooms are downstairs...

You would have to do what electricians call 'fishing wires.'  I have never
tried it, but I have read about.  It sounds like a royal pain in the *ss.
Preferably you would find an existing cable causeway, tap into it, use
semi-rigid 'fish tape' (a thin sheat of flexible metal, with a loop), and
drill a small hole through drywall.  You would push the wire through the
cable causeway, and pull it out somewhere else.  You would probably need two
people.

If you can't find the existing causeway, you would have to drill holes at
every stud (and remove dry wall at every step).  You could look this stuff up
in an DIY electrician's book at the library.  I did.  It didn't sound even
remotely appealing to me, so I bought 802.11g.  :-)

> If it's too much of a hassle, anyone know of any good local companies
> that will do this for not too much $$?

I suspect it could get pretty expensive.  Fishing wires is the most time
consuming part of an electrical job, from what I have read.  And they charge
by the hour.

HTH,

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...