[lug] OT: wiring a house for ethernet

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 28 11:03:34 MDT 2004

Timothy Klein wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2004 10:05 am, Ryan Wheaton wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>

>>the new house, I'd like to have a more "professional" job -- you know,
>>with eth outlets in the walls, instead of running cables under carpets
>>and such.  Any ideas on the best way to go about this, or how the pros
>>really do it?  I haven't been able to locate any kind of crawl space
>>under the house, and finding an attic may not help me cause most of the
>>rooms are downstairs...
>

> You would have to do what electricians call 'fishing wires.'  I have never
> tried it, but I have read about.  It sounds like a royal pain in the *ss.
> Preferably you would find an existing cable causeway, tap into it, use
> semi-rigid 'fish tape' (a thin sheat of flexible metal, with a loop), and
> drill a small hole through drywall.  You would push the wire through the
> cable causeway, and pull it out somewhere else.  You would probably need two
> people.
>
> If you can't find the existing causeway, you would have to drill holes at
> every stud (and remove dry wall at every step).  You could look this stuff up
> in an DIY electrician's book at the library.  I did.  It didn't sound even
> remotely appealing to me, so I bought 802.11g.  :-)

For the "horizontal runs" within a room, an alternative to fishing tape
is to remove baseboard, route channels into the back side of the
baseboard, and run cabling through that.  You're still left with the
fishing tape method for vertical runs, but those are usually short and
unobstructed.

All of this is MUCH more difficult (and probably more expensive) than
802.11g gear.