[lug] OT: wiring a house for ethernet

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 28 12:51:34 MDT 2004

Nate Duehr wrote:

> I did avoid the current trend of everyone selling 802.11g "routers" and
> went hunting specifically for the Access Points only -- this allowed me
> more flexibility since I run my own firewall, etc.

In my experience, these broadband wireless routers cost the same (or
sometimes less) than a basic WAP.  These routers can generally be used
as a WAP by basically ignoring the "WAN" or "Broadband" port and
disabling the built-in DHCP server functionality.  Instead, plug your
firewall (or some other internal switch) into any one of the four
"switch" ports.  For best security, look for a wireless device that
supports WPA and 802.1x.