[lug] OT: wiring a house for ethernet

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jun 28 14:20:39 MDT 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 12:05 pm, Ryan Wheaton wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Sorry for the OT post, but figured there were some smart cookies in
> here with good ideas from previous experience.  I just moved into a new
> (rental) house.  In our old house, we had run cables every which way,
> mashing them under floorboards, etc...  (a real professional job) In
> the new house, I'd like to have a more "professional" job -- you know,
> with eth outlets in the walls, instead of running cables under carpets
> and such.  Any ideas on the best way to go about this, or how the pros
> really do it?  I haven't been able to locate any kind of crawl space
> under the house, and finding an attic may not help me cause most of the
> rooms are downstairs...

I've not used three different methods of networking old houses.  Wiring is
definitly the worst.  Wireless is okay, though it can be messy, too, because
of various interference problems.

I recommend powerline ethernet.  You buy a unit for each system you want
connected to the network (generally number of wired rooms--I figure computers
in one room can share a hub/switch which is cheaper) and plug them into the
wall.  An ethernet cable runs from the computer/hub/router to the wall unit.
That's it.

I get essentially 10baseT speed.  Way better than 802.11b, way worse than
100baseT.  Since I mostly want to web-surf from my outlying systems, I don't
worry about the speed--it is much faster that the network connection.  If I
were serving MPEG video I might look at other solutions.

Michael