[lug] OT: wiring a house for ethernet

Joshua Rubin Joshua.Rubin at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jun 28 14:45:53 MDT 2004

I am surprised that I have only heard marginal discussion about wlan
security!  It is simply insecure, even with WEP on.  WPA is good, but
many, most, linux devices do not support it.  802.11i looks interesting
though.  I use the prism54 (802.11g) card on my desktop and laptop, it
is an AP on the desktop, and I use openvpn to build a secure tunnel.
With that, I am lucky to get over 1MB/s, not usable for true LAN.  I
know it is a pain, but cat5\6 is not something I would ever give up.
Joshua

--
Joshua Rubin
Joshua.Rubin at Colorado.EDU