[lug] Semi OT: HSI and Hosting

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Thu Jul 8 16:47:51 MDT 2004

At 04:26 PM 7/8/2004, you wrote:
>Hey BLUG,
>
>I know this kind of question comes up a lot. So, sorry for the redundancy
>But, very specifically, I'm looking to do some fairly serious webhosting
>at my place (in boulder).  Nothing illegal, but I'm reluctant to use a
>commerical web-host because I'll be servering many hundreds of gigs of
>files.
>
>I'm wondering, sort of ordering a T1, what combination of DSL/ISP or
>ComCast package people would recommend for something like this?  I.E. very
>fast upstream, and no contract problems with IMAP, STMP, HTTP, FTP,
>DNS, etc?
>
>- ZT

It sounds like you've considered and rejected co-location as an option?
I've been happy with tummy.com's shared solo offering, although I'm only
serving a few gigs of files. Their pricing goes by bandwidth and by storage
space, but you get what appears to be root on a KRUD installation so you
can run whatever services you like. The advantage to something like this
is, they take care of all the connectivity issues, UPS, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.