[lug] Tempfs

Shannon Johnston sjohnston at cavionplus.com
Mon Jul 19 11:19:08 MDT 2004

Has anybody had any experience using tempfs for the /tmp directory in
linux? I know that Solaris uses it, but I haven't used it on linux
before. Is there any advantage to it? Can it still be assigned options
like no suid?

Here's what sparked my interest. From the Linux Journal Weekly News
Notes - June 9
 Tech Tip

   When you're planning the partitioning scheme for your next Linux
   system, keep in mind that you may want to put /tmp on tmpfs instead of
   directly on disk and allow extra swap space for the size of /tmp you
   want. For example, instead of reserving 1GB for /tmp and 1GB for swap,
   with tmpfs you can use 2GB for swap and reduce the number of
   partitions you need.

   To create a 1GB tmpfs partition, put this in /etc/fstab:

none            /tmp    tmpfs   size=1073741824

--
Shannon Johnston <sjohnston at cavionplus.com>
Cavion Plus