[lug] New to the scene of RPM building.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jul 20 10:02:34 MDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 10:30, Shannon Johnston wrote:
> I'm pretty new to the scene of RPM building and I've run into my first
> hurdle. I have an installation of a custom piece of software that does
> not require any compiling, just installation of files. I would like to
> have the installation as an RPM so that I can have it in our yum
> repository. Does anybody have any experience with doing something like
> this?

This topic was covered just recently on this list.  You might search the
archives for that thread.

Building a binary distribution is pretty easy.  I have templates I use
at work for that.  I package lots of small binary tools into RPMs
(which, interestingly enough, later get converted to .debs using
"alien").  My MuseSig package has a simple RPM template that just
installs files.  You can grab it from the web site:

http://www.graphics-muse.com/musesig/download.html

FYI - I just relaunched my web site and its very CSS oriented.  Firebird
and Galeon work well, but IE may not.  I haven't tried older browsers or
KHTML yet.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com