[lug] New to the scene of RPM building.

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Jul 20 13:50:58 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 12:02 pm, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 10:30, Shannon Johnston wrote:
> > I'm pretty new to the scene of RPM building and I've run into my first
> > hurdle. I have an installation of a custom piece of software that does
> > not require any compiling, just installation of files. I would like to
> > have the installation as an RPM so that I can have it in our yum
> > repository. Does anybody have any experience with doing something like
> > this?

I've been using "rust" and "crust" for this.  rust is a gui--you can just
drag'n'drop the files you want in your rpm.  crust is the command-line
backend allowing for scripted creation of an rpm.  You basically create a
directory holding the file structure you want in the rpm, then run crust on
that directory.

> This topic was covered just recently on this list.  You might search the
> archives for that thread.
>
> Building a binary distribution is pretty easy.  I have templates I use
> at work for that.  I package lots of small binary tools into RPMs
> (which, interestingly enough, later get converted to .debs using
> "alien").  My MuseSig package has a simple RPM template that just
> installs files.  You can grab it from the web site:
>
> http://www.graphics-muse.com/musesig/download.html
>
> FYI - I just relaunched my web site and its very CSS oriented.  Firebird
> and Galeon work well, but IE may not.  I haven't tried older browsers or
> KHTML yet.

It displays rather poorly in Konqueror.  Mostly the spacing is bad between
components and they end up overlapping.  The backgrounds appear kinda dark
for black text, but maybe I'm just getting old and my eyes are failing.

Michael