[lug] New to the scene of RPM building.

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Tue Jul 20 16:30:22 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 04:01 pm, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 15:20, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:

> Hmm.  Firebird does well with that text.  Konqueror uses the wrong font
> (sans-serif), at least from what I was wanting it to use.  I probably
> need to clean up the font list for all the project themes.  In general,
> though, Konqueror 3.1 renders pretty much the way I wanted it to.  I'm
> just not that happy with the quality of the JPEG rendering in
> Konqueror.  Firebird seems much cleaner.  I *did* have PNG backgrounds
> with tranparency originally.  Looked great in Firebird.  Looked like a
> WWII battleground in IE.  *sigh*  So I switched to JPEGs with the theme
> background merged into the transparency to get the effect I was after.
> Hack.  Stupid IE.  I wrote a template system to be able to switch themes
> easily that is now at the mercy of merging backgrounds into images
> because of IE.  I'd like to totally ignore IE if I could.
>
> One thing I noticed that is really weird - the front page in Konqueror
> took a long time before it displayed any links or text.  Might be
> because there is a Flash animation on that page and Konqueror had to
> time out trying to play it before rendering the rest of the page.  But
> the links and text showed up after a while.  (The animation was
> generated using Ming, a PHP front end that can generate flash animations
> without having to have any flash libraries, etc.  Kinda cool.  I may
> have to do an article on that.)
>
> > I use Konq except for Web sites that won't work with it, so Mozilla's
settings
> > are probably defaults and Konq's may have been customized somewhere along
the
> > line. I suspect that if I changed Mozilla's minimum font size to something
> > legible, the display in Mozilla might break the same way Konq's is broken.
>
> Optimally the browser should be set to use the font settings I
> configured in the CSS, but I realize that its easier (re: more legible)
> for users to set their own fonts because many sites just don't do a good
> job with fonts. Eric Meyer's books don't explain how to plan for that
> situation, unfortunately.  But he (and the Zen Garden - I use their
> CSS/HTML templates div configurations for all my pages) did teach me how
> to get rid of tables.  Woohoo!
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  I'll see if I can grab a Mozilla 1.4 to test
> against too.  There must be an RPM for that around somewhere.
> --
I decreased my minimum font size in Konq to 7 pts, and the overlaps pretty
much disappeared.
Web page design by
still seems too close vertically to the following line.

I'm using the latest KRUD, which is currently based off Fedora Core 1. I think
we get Firefox instead of Mozilla by default when they switch to FC2 or
later.

I may stick with the lower minimum font size: between improvements in font
rendering and the good screen of this laptop (and the fact that I'm wearing
my reading glasses, not the bifocals or distance lenses), it seems to be
adequate...

But I always heard that for proper site design you should avoid specifying
sizes of things that could be disrupted by things that could be disrupted by
user font choices and such. The text in the bullet list under the license,
and in the What is Xeus box are both pretty marginal, and I would NOT want to
try reading them on a screen in a serif font at this size. What font and type
size are you specifying?

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology