[lug] Linux-Friendly Computer Dealers in Boulder?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Jul 20 20:03:20 MDT 2004

I'm thinking of getting a laptop computer for use as a portable
workstation (but I intend to play on it a bit too) and I was wondering if
there was a dealer in the area who can supply such hardware and who also
can provide advice on Linux software recommendations and configuration? By
"advice" I mean anything from face-to-face or phone support for a limited
time to a good web page. Is there anyone local who's got a good rep?

Or would you recommend I just buy a la cart online for the lowest price
from Texas or China and bother BLUG when I have questions? What's the best
route? I'd rather see my money stay in Colorado, but the price needs to be
within reason too.

I've been using various versions of RedHat in a text-based http-smtp-ftp
server for a few years, but now I'm interested in trying out the other end
of the Linux world -- the GUI one. I'm not sure I want to continue with RH
or Fedora either, and am looking at Slackware as an alternative. I prefer
stabilty over the lastest bleeding edge experimental stuff. I don't know
enough Linux yet to enjoy sliding down the razor's edge into a cold bucket
of salt water.

Suggestions...?

- Bill Thoen