[lug] printing pdfs to postscript printers

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Thu Jul 22 10:42:46 MDT 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 10:30 am, John Hernandez wrote:
> Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> > Using pdf2ps I have discovered that  a 5 meg pdf file expands to a 337 MB
ps
> > file, so I'm clearly running out of memory to build the page images in the
> > printer. Not to mention temp and spool space on the laptop (KDE gets
really
> > cranky when it runs out of temp space... and the symptoms are strange)
> >
> > This file size explosion is especially surprising since pdf and postscript
are
> > both Adobe formats, and pdf is supposed to be derived from postscript. Is
> > this really normal?
>
> If you can't find a way to create a small enough ps file for your
> system, maybe you can try using psselect to chop the file into smaller
> pieces before spooling.

I suspect even most single page images in these files will choke my printer:
they've got images of power point slides (more or less) on them. And I wasn't
joking when I described the printer as an antique: it's about 12 years old, I
think, so we're talking about tiny memory by modern standards.

Ah well, time for a new printer, once I scrape up some cash. Maybe with color.

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology
http://www.astraltrading.com   Divination and Science Fiction