[lug] printing pdfs to postscript printers

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Jul 23 03:41:14 MDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Daniel Webb wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
>
> > I suspect even most single page images in these files will choke my printer:
> > they've got images of power point slides (more or less) on them. And I wasn't
> > joking when I described the printer as an antique: it's about 12 years old, I
> > think, so we're talking about tiny memory by modern standards.
> >
> > Ah well, time for a new printer, once I scrape up some cash. Maybe with color.
>
> I'm using a Laserjet 3P, and before I added some memory that I was just
> lucky enough to have lying around, I couldn't get it to work with Linux.
> >From what I've gathered from Google searching, there are ways to do it,
> and Windows has some setting to scratch by, but I never figured out how
> for Linux.  I think 2 MB is about the bare minimum for a postscript
> printer with Linux.

<Replying to myself>

I just noticed today while working improving my printing setup that there
is in fact a driver out there that (allegedly) supports the feature I'm
talking about (sending data by chunks to prevent overflowing the memory)
for Laserjet 3 and 4s.  Check out the comments at:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_3P_w_PCL5

if that applies to you.

Daniel