[lug] Building software from source RPMs

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 23 15:30:17 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 15:17, Bill Thoen wrote:
> I would like to recompile PHP for use with MySQL, but I've run into too
> many problems trying to recompile from the latest tarball (I'm using RH
> 9, with an early apache 2, which PHPP 5 doesn't like.) So, I figured
> I'd just try the 4.2.2. source RPM.
>
> It comes with a series of patch files, which I've never used before. I
> assume I just unpack the source tarball under its /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> directory and then apply the patches somehow, and then configure, make and
> make install. But how do I apply these patches?
>
> I've never tried an RPM source rebuild before either, so I'd appreciate
> any advice on that too.

If the patch files are in the SRPM, they are applied during the build if
needed.  The patch commands are in the .spec file, and I've actually
seen patches distributed with an SRPM that weren't applied because they
are old (you see commented out lines in the .spec).

I guess I'd say go for it.  Try rebuilding it and see if you see the
patching in the output (you might need to tee or something if it goes by
too fast).  The rebuilds usually work if your system isn't too out of
spec.

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/