[lug] New to the scene of RPM building.

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sun Jul 25 06:48:24 MDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 05:00:01PM -0400, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Friday 23 July 2004 02:32 pm, Nate Duehr wrote:
> > On Jul 21, 2004, at 2:58 PM, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> > > Again, thanks for the screenshots - especially for sending one shot of
> > > each page in PDF format!  That made it easy to review.
> >
> > Heh, well... that's the standard built-in screenshot method in OSX.
> >
> > It's so nicely thought out... amazing all the nice little details you
> > can tell the Apple folks really THOUGHT about... to paraphrase the
> > Guinness commercial:  PDF's for Screen Shots!  BRILLIANT!!
>
> I would guess that comes for free (or at least cheap) from using postscript as
> the display language.

Well, except that it _doesn't_ use postscript for display ... That was NeXT
long ago ;-)
There's a lot of Apple Marketing FUD that makesone think that they use some
sort of "display PDF" but even that is pretty much not true. AFAIK Quartz (their
display engine) uses the same graphic primitives as PDF (which is pretty much
the same as Postscript but also very similar to X primitives) -- so one can
render to "print" with the same code as rendering to "screen".

> A typical X or Windows window is a bitmap, but a MacOS
> X window is postscript.

No, it's a bitmap as well. The code that _draws_ the window uses things like
'moveto', 'lineto', 'fill' et al. One could do similar things than OSX by writing
a X server that renders into memory and uses that to print ....

Ralf Mattes

Assuming that they can tap into that, generating a