[lug] Wierd audio problems nforce 2 chip set, suse 9.1

Paul Nowosielski Paul at danamusic.com
Tue Jul 27 01:07:01 MDT 2004

Hi all,

 I'm hoping someone can help with this audio dilemma.

I'm running Suse 9.1 on an Nvidia nforce chipset with on-board sound.
I have never had a problem till about a week ago ~every thing~ worked
perfect. I could record audio, listen etc etc.

Now when I try to open any recording software I get this error

"direct access to the sound device not possible, No soundcard available
or sound support not configured yet....."

 Mplayer does not play any audio now also.

But xmms plays audio fine.

I added a second soundcard (sound blaster live)  and had the same
problems( this card worked with machine in the past).

I haven't made any major changes to hardware/software on the system
but I do have the automatic updates setup and there have been some
kernel upgrades recently.

Also there is no /dev/dsp but there is
/dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp2 and /dev/dsp3

Any ideas about this be be greatly appreciated. I had to break out an
old windoze box yesterday to perform rudimentary audio tasks :(

--
Paul Nowosielski <Paul at danamusic.com>