[lug] [OT] DSL without a phone line?

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Jul 27 22:47:04 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 ShortJuly 2004 06:38 pm, David Morris wrote:
> A bit OT for the list, but I figured if anyone would have
> experience with this it would be a group of fellow Linux
> gurus with servers of their own. :)
>
> I am moving near the end of August and I would like to
> replace my phone-line with a cell phone.  The problem with
> this, of course, is my DSL connection with a server attached
> to it.
>
> I know I can get an SDSL connection, but those can get a tad
> pricy for anything but a minimal connection speed,
> especially once you tack on the ISP.  Anyone know of any
> options for inexpensive dedicated-line DSL service?  I
> cannot believe in this age of wireless devices that I'm the
> first to look for it, but I haven't been able to find
> anything yet....
>
> Services other than the internet connection are also
> superfelous as my server handles all my email & web needs.

If you can get regular Qwest DSL where you live, then you do not need to get
Qwest phone service.  They changed their policy recently to allow this (and
that is all it was: policy.  There is no technical need for a working
dial-tone, just the copper pair.)

So you can have cell phone for voice and DSL for data.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...