[lug] Running Linux Servers over DSL

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jul 30 16:29:28 MDT 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 16:27, Bill Thoen wrote:
> I'm sharing a T1 with a colleague here in Boulder, and while the service
> is nice and fast, it's a bit pricey ($125/mo for my business.) I run only
> one low-volumne Linux web/ftp/mail server, and occasionally I fire up a
> second server for experiments. The mail server handles only mail for me
> personally, and my file transfer needs are only a few tens of MB a month
> typically. So a T1 is really overkill for me.
>
> I'm wondering if a DSL line might be a more appropriate alternative for my
> needs. However, I still want to be able to use my own machine for a server
> and retain the ability to do what I like with it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> - Bill Thoen

DSL will work fine for, indeed will excel at, the kind of light-duty server
work you describe.  The bang for the buck is much, much better (on download,
as long as your line is clean, DSL is now as fast as T1.  Upload, which would
affect the server more, is slower).  Just make sure that your ISP allows the
server stuff, but I think all do.  No bandwidth cap is nice for piece of
mind, just in case your server were to become Slashdotted for some odd
reason.

The only thing you will lose, I think, is you most likely have a much higher
guarantee of service with T1.  If you are depending for anything vital on the
line, your T1 will get fixed much quicker than DSL, should something go
wrong.  At least in theory.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...