[lug] Running Linux Servers over DSL

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Jul 30 17:49:39 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 18:29, Timothy Klein wrote:
> On Friday 30 July 2004 16:27, Bill Thoen wrote:
> > I'm sharing a T1 with a colleague here in Boulder, and while the service
> > is nice and fast, it's a bit pricey ($125/mo for my business.) I run only
> > one low-volumne Linux web/ftp/mail server, and occasionally I fire up a
> > second server for experiments. The mail server handles only mail for me
> > personally, and my file transfer needs are only a few tens of MB a month
> > typically. So a T1 is really overkill for me.
> >
> > I'm wondering if a DSL line might be a more appropriate alternative for my
> > needs. However, I still want to be able to use my own machine for a server
> > and retain the ability to do what I like with it.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > - Bill Thoen
> >

> DSL will work fine for, indeed will excel at, the kind of light-duty server
> work you describe.  The bang for the buck is much, much better (on download,
> as long as your line is clean, DSL is now as fast as T1.  Upload, which would
> affect the server more, is slower).  Just make sure that your ISP allows the
> server stuff, but I think all do.  No bandwidth cap is nice for piece of
> mind, just in case your server were to become Slashdotted for some odd
> reason.
>
> The only thing you will lose, I think, is you most likely have a much higher
> guarantee of service with T1.  If you are depending for anything vital on the
> line, your T1 will get fixed much quicker than DSL, should something go
> wrong.  At least in theory.
>
> Tim

T1 has federally mandated service level agreements.  As far as I can
tell it means you can break contracts if your line is down for a
specified amount of time in a specified time period but not much else (I
can't remember what the exact amounts were, I think if you are down for
more than a couple hours in a 10 day period you get to exercise your
rights).  Someone that knows more please fill in the extra details.

Business class dsl service can be up near the $125/month price.
Residential class service usu. means a dynamic ip and terms of service
that don't allow you to run servers.

I'd look at Speakeasy.net since they seem to understand that there are
people that want a static ip and want to run servers.

Hugh