[lug] Running Linux Servers over DSL

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jul 30 21:43:15 MDT 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 17:49, Hugh Brown wrote:

> T1 has federally mandated service level agreements.  As far as I can
> tell it means you can break contracts if your line is down for a
> specified amount of time in a specified time period but not much else (I
> can't remember what the exact amounts were, I think if you are down for
> more than a couple hours in a 10 day period you get to exercise your
> rights).  Someone that knows more please fill in the extra details.

That sounds right.  But I also know from working (formerly) at Qwest that when
a DSL goes down, they call a regular tech. out, and it is no big deal.  If a
T1 goes down, they send a 'specials' tech. out, and that tech. is hounded by
his boss mercilessly every hour the line is down.  Well, at least some of the
time.  That is never the case for a regular tech.

> Business class dsl service can be up near the $125/month price.
> Residential class service usu. means a dynamic ip and terms of service
> that don't allow you to run servers.
>
> I'd look at Speakeasy.net since they seem to understand that there are
> people that want a static ip and want to run servers.

I am with Forethought.net.  I have a static IP address and my TOS is simple:
it's my pipe.  It can be open 24/7, and I can run servers on it (just nothing
illegal, etc).  $25.00 (plus Qwest's part)

But my servers run fairly light traffic.  I don't know if Forethought would
change their tune if I actually hit my bandwidth all the time, or if it would
be unreliable.

They do offer a business bundle at the same speed for $70, but I don't know if
is more simply because of the extra features (email, web, account management)
or if they are strict about splitting residential/commercial.  It is not in
the TOS.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...