[lug] Running Linux Servers over DSL

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jul 31 18:25:38 MDT 2004

Bill Thoen wrote:
[...]
> I'm wondering if a DSL line might be a more appropriate alternative for my
> needs. However, I still want to be able to use my own machine for a server
> and retain the ability to do what I like with it.

I do this with Qwest.  The monthly fees are $28 for 1.5/1.0Mbps DSL,
$9.95 for ISP, $5.95 for 1 static IP (dynamic IPs work too, but other
mail servers frequently block them--e.g., AOL).

So the total for what you want is $43.90/mo.  Because it is basic ISP
service you get no mail account, no web space, and no way to submit help
desk requests via the web form (you can still call of course).  I'm
pretty happy with it.

If you go that way, try to get everything lined up at once and see if
they'll cut you a break on the hook up charge.  For DSL it's around $90,
and for a static IP $25 but they should be able to bundle all that
together for something reasonable (DSL hook up is only $10 until
Oct)--check the web site.

And make sure they get your order correct.  It's easy to say "basic
internet" and for them to give you "internet prime".

Dave