[lug] Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(22, 5) {no filter}

Rodger.Wilson at Emulex.Com Rodger.Wilson at Emulex.Com
Tue Aug 3 09:21:23 MDT 2004

I am in the process of installing a new 2.6.5kgdb kernel.  It has successfully created an initrd image. Which I presume is at block 22, considering my error message.  Lilo load the kernel, then loads block 22, and then cant mount the image.

serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(22,5)

Could the kernel be expecting an uncompressed ram disk?

Do all ram disks have the same filesystem?

Can I verify that my ram disk is truly at block 22?

Rodger Wilson
Senior engineer - Emulex
720-394-7275 (cell)
720-494-2488 (work)