[lug] adding a device to existing RAID 0

jef at petrafex.com jef at petrafex.com
Thu Aug 5 08:01:24 MDT 2004

after reading & googling all over the place I'm still uncertain that what I want
to do will work. basically I have a 2 device RAID-0 with existing data on it.

trogdor:# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid0]
md0 : active raid0 sdc1[1] sdb1[0]
      1809352448 blocks 8k chunks

unused devices: <none>

What I'd like to do is add a third device to increase the capacity. According to
the man page and numerous examples I've found, you can do this with:

mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdd

the catch is that all the examples I've seen were for recovering a RAID-5
(removing a failed device then adding one). Does anyone know if this will work
without destroying the existing data on a RAID-0?

Thanks in advance!