[lug] Two NICs, one IP

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Wed Aug 11 14:38:19 MDT 2004

Hey all--

I manage a Linux server for a client, and he has asked me to set things
up so the server will be able to withstand the failure of a physical
cable on the LAN.  The server has two NICs (eth0 and eth1, in
Linuxspeak) and he wants both to have the same IP address.

I don't believe this is possible, since the box won't know where to
route outgoing packets (eth0? eth1? both?), and I've seen instances
where a network interface won't even come up if the system thinks
there's another machine with that IP on the network.

However, before I tell him it isn't possible, I wanted to confirm it
with the group here.  I don't have any hard-and-fast documentation to
support my claim, but it just doesn't seem right to me.  Can anyone
tell me for sure that it's not possible?  Or, if it is, how to do it
properly?

TIA,
Jeff