[lug] Server clock losing serious time

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Aug 14 19:58:43 MDT 2004

Jeff Schroeder wrote:
[...]
> # ntptrace
> localhost: stratum 16, offset 0.000000, root distance 0.000000

I'm not sure what that does, or why it doesn't show other servers you
should have configured.  ntpq -p would seem to be a better command to
show what's going on.

I had a machine that would lose contact with its time server, drift a
ways, and then reject the server in favor of localhost.  So I'm not sure
that using localhost as a time source is a good idea, at least if there
is only one other source to check against.  But when all is running it
works ok.

Dave