[lug] MX host question

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Aug 17 20:32:06 MDT 2004

Chip Atkinson wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I had a question about MX hosts.  If one has 2 or more MX hosts
>within a domain, do they all need to know the names of all the users?
>
>If I have 2 hosts, but only one host knows all the users on the domain
>machines, how do I ensure that mail sent to the aux. MX machine gets to
>the main mail machine?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Chip

>Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug

I have a redhat system running sendmail as a backup mx and it has this
for configuration:

/etc/mail/local-host-names is empty
/etc/mail/access has RELAY lines for localhost and the domain that it is
secondary MX for
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc has a define(`SMART_HOST',`primarymx-host.domain')

and then I generated the sendmail.cf from the .mc file.

So far it collects mail if the primary mx is down and delivers it to the
primary mx when it is up.