[lug] Two NICs, one IP

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Aug 18 23:24:43 MDT 2004

>Many moons ago, I looked at DRBD but it was still in alpha development
>and had some issues... I didn't want to trust clients' production data

DRBD works fine.  I've been running it on systems for at least 2 years
now with no real problems to speak of.  It seems to be the best of the
network mirrored block device solutions.  In fact, we're doing a
deployment of DRBD+heartbeat for a client this week.

To make two interfaces work on the same network, there are a few things
you can do.  VRRP is designed to do that sort of thing, and even
preserves the MAC address of the interface.  It's fail-over time is
fractions of a second.  You could also use one of a variety of dynamic
routing protocols like OSPF or RIP.  Also, I believe the Intel cards
have tools available for them which provide link resiliancy.

Sean
--
 Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
                 -- Fred Brooks