[lug] Cracking attempts via SSH

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Aug 19 12:14:15 MDT 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 11:45, Bill Thoen wrote:

> So what's going on? Are script kiddies trying out something new
> that I should be concerned about? What bothers me is the three
> tries on 'root'. I think I've got a decent password, but I don't
> know much about cracking, so I don't know what they're capable of.

These seem to be a trend, I get them too.  Everyone is worried about
the root account -- don't over do that.  *Any* account is a problem.
If an account is compromised, all the cracker needs is write access
somewhere on the machine with that account.  Couple that with the
ability execute any binary, and they have root -- they just download
their favorite root exploit from i-4m-leet.ru and they are off to the
races.

Make sure they can't get in at all.  I don't know how admins of many
shell account machines (like a university server) sleep at night.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...