[lug] Apache segfault

Scott Herod herod at dimensional.com
Thu Aug 26 10:42:52 MDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Jeff Schroeder wrote:

> Hey all--
>
> I've been having issues with Apache+PHP crashing on certain pages of a
> web app I wrote.  The Apache error log reports:
>
> [notice] child pid 14601 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
> [notice] child pid 14602 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>
> I suspect something is amiss with my compile of Apache, PHP, mod_perl,
> mod_ssl, and all the other goodies thrown in the mix.  However, I can't
> get a core file to run through GDB, so I can't figure out where it's
> dying.  Note that I *can* run Apache's main process (httpd) in GDB, but
> of course it spawns all of the "listeners" for the web connections, and
> it's those spawned processes that are dying.
>
> The bottom line question is: how do I force the creation of a core file?
> I did a search in some likely places but didn't find anything, so I
> don't think Apache is dumping core now.  Is there some shell setting
> (I'm using bash) or environment variable I need to set to tell the
> system to drop a core file into some specific directory?

Grep for DONE_PROCESS in the apache source files.  There's a comment in
mpm/worker/worker.c that talks about this a bit.  Also, you should check
to see whether there is a .gdbinit file at the top level of the source
distribution.  See the comments in it as well.  I'm looking at the 2.0.50
source for these.

Scott