[lug] server memory woes (3rd attempt!)

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Thu Aug 26 16:35:49 MDT 2004

Greetings everyone.

I have this new email/dns/dhcpd/nfs/jabber
(WayToManyCriticalThingsForOneMachine) server that has 3 gigs of RAM and
dual AMD Opteron processors.

It stops responding to requests periodically (once a week or so).
First, I suspected that the firewall was not allowing AMANDA to do its
thing (usually stops responding at night during the backups), but it has
still behaved the same -- even after opening up the firewall completely
for the amanda server.

I have noticed that after a reboot it has approx 2.4 Gigs of RAM
available but goes down gradually to around 250 Megs available by the
next day.

I tried restarting  the usual suspects like NFS and SAMBA, but the RAM
usage doesn't seem to recover.  Something is not freeing up Memory.

Other things I haven't tried restarting that could be responsible are
dhcpd, IMAP, and spamd.

Is there any way to effectively track that down or am I doomed to reboot
the server every day or so?

The server is running Redhat 3.0 AS Release 3 x86_64 and is up to date
with all the redhat updates.  All applications -- except AMANDA and
Jabber are just the Redhat Distro RPMs.

Thanks for helping!

-M
Michael R. Belanger                    Yahoo!:  darthwonka
DB Programmer                          MSN:     mrbelanger at hotmail.com
                                        Jabber:  mrb at jabber.ciclops.org
"We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.." -Arthur O'Shaughnessy (1844-1881)