[lug] server memory woes (3rd attempt!)

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Thu Aug 26 17:04:16 MDT 2004

Kevin:

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Anything on the console or in the logs when it stops responding?

Nothing very helpful.  Normally it is a blank screen, but I had since
started pumping kernel messages to the console.  This last hang had an
iptables LOG message of a denied ntp request.

> How are you determining the amount of ram available...
> on a normal linux box the amount of memory "free" reported by "free"
> should go down to a very small amount. Linux uses memory for caching
> files, buffering and running applications. I think they should rename
> that field "wasted". You want some around to handle new requests, but
> you want as much as possible being used to make your box faster. ;)

That makes me feel a lot better.. Thanks for the insight.  I had always
felt that the used memory should add up with the memory taken by the
running processes.. If what you say is accurate, that isn't necessary a
reliable deduction.

> Michael> The server is running Redhat 3.0 AS Release 3 x86_64 and is
> Michael> up to date with all the redhat updates.  All applications --
> Michael> except AMANDA and Jabber are just the Redhat Distro RPMs.
>
> You might open a support ticket with RedHat. Since you paid for the
> support, might as well use it. :)

An excellent point. I will do that.

Michael R. Belanger                    Yahoo!:  darthwonka
DB Programmer                          MSN:     mrbelanger at hotmail.com
                                        Jabber:  mrb at jabber.ciclops.org
"We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.." -Arthur O'Shaughnessy (1844-1881)