[lug] server memory woes (3rd attempt!)

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 27 09:44:07 MDT 2004

Michael Belanger wrote:

> It is a Western Scientific :
>
>  Server Model: WS-2UOPT/3GB (Fusion A64 )
> motherboard: Arima HDAMA, Dual 100/1000, 8x Memory Slots
> CPU: (2) Opteron 240, 1.4Ghz
> System Disk: 80GB 7200 RPM IDE
> RAID: 8 @ 200GB 7200 RPM SATA Drives
> Memory: 3GB Registered ECC DDR 333, PC2700, 6x 512MB
> 3-Ware 8506-8, 8-port SATA RAID Card
> CDROM
>

> The 3-Ware card model number was not listed on the RH suppported
> hardware list, but another model similar was.

I once encountered a similar, seemingly random lockup problem with a
dual-Xeon box with a pair of built-in GigE NICs, one of which was a
Broadcom.  A bug in the kernel or broadcom driver was the culprit, and
we swapped out the mobo for a dual Intel e1000 NIC model.  I believe it
was in the RH 8.0 days.

Have you searched through the RHEL bugs database?  That's how we figured
out what was going on.