[lug] Exchange server without IMAP?

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Aug 30 11:58:04 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 11:26, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Monday 30 August 2004 01:07 pm, Nick Golder wrote:
> > On 2004-08-30 11:02 -0600, David Morris wrote:
> > > The company I work for in all its *abundant* stupidity has
> > > decided to disable IMAP access to their email server.
> > >
> > > I need to find a way, if possible, to access their exchange
> > > server without using IMAP.  I would prefer a solution that
> > > reads messages directly on the server, but would not mind a
> > > downloading messages if that is what it would take to keep
> > > using a Linux mail client.
> >
> > Evolutions has a module for doing the Exchange dance.  The bad thing is
> > that it costs money...
>
> Not any more!  When Novell bought Ximian they Open Sourced it.  That's what I
> use, and it works quite well.  Actually, I dislike evolution, but it works as
> well as evolution works.  If they could just port that ability into kmail I'd
> be happy as a clam.
>
> The easiest way to get it is to install Red Carpet from Ximian, then use that
> to install Evolutions Connector.  Only a limited collection of distributions
> is supported, however.

Just an FYI, but if it is FC1, FC2, or EL3, Dag has you covered:

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/evolution-connector/

That said, I like evolution, but have never used Exchange, so YMMV.

--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/