[lug] When to try rebooting Linux

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Sep 1 15:27:44 MDT 2004

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 September 2004 03:44 pm, Daniel Webb wrote:
>
>>Normally rebooting Linux does not fix a problem, unlike Windows.  I have
>>now found three circumstances where rebooting has solved problems with
>>Linux:
<snip>

> Anything involving loading/unloading of kernel modules.  All of the above are
> covered by this one.  In particular, configuring hardware like sound cards,
> ethernet cards, scsi cards, etc.  This is even more true if the modules are
> experiment, new, or not widely used.

How about unloading and re-loading the respective kernel modules.  You can also restart
the respective subsystem (e.g. pcmcia).  So far I haven't seen situations that couldn't be
resolved by subsystem action.

The only exception are kernel upgrades and kernel panic.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation