[lug] When to try rebooting Linux

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Sep 1 19:00:50 MDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> How about unloading and re-loading the respective kernel modules.  You can also restart
> the respective subsystem (e.g. pcmcia).  So far I haven't seen situations that couldn't be
> resolved by subsystem action.
>
> The only exception are kernel upgrades and kernel panic.

Of course I tried that, but for every instance I listed, there were
reasons that the kernel modules refused to unload.  I've seen PCMCIA, NFS,
USB, and others refuse to unload even when every process short of init and
sh were kill -9'ed.

Still, there's always the possibility that I missed something.  Anyone
know of a good reference on how to find the processes using a kernel
module?  fuser is good if you know the files the process opens, but what
if you don't?

Daniel