[lug] When to try rebooting Linux

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Thu Sep 2 13:16:54 MDT 2004

Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>

>>How about unloading and re-loading the respective kernel modules.  You can also restart
>>the respective subsystem (e.g. pcmcia).  So far I haven't seen situations that couldn't be
>>resolved by subsystem action.
>>
>>The only exception are kernel upgrades and kernel panic.
>

> Of course I tried that, but for every instance I listed, there were
> reasons that the kernel modules refused to unload.  I've seen PCMCIA, NFS,
> USB, and others refuse to unload even when every process short of init and
> sh were kill -9'ed.

When you can't unmount a filesystem after killing all the fuser-listed
processes...

With slightly older kernels, I've seen it happen when were running NFS, and
NFS clients were still holding NFS locks.

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce