[lug] When to try rebooting Linux

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Sep 2 14:07:55 MDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Nate Duehr wrote:

> WIth this one, restarting the entire PCMCIA subsystem usually clears
> this.  If the distro has really badly written network start/stop
> scripts, you may have to tweak around a bit with those or manually
> bring up an interface afterward, but haven't run into any wireless
> cards yet that needed a complete reboot.

I'm definitely not a guru, so I'm not exactly sure how to make this happen
when I get a device or resource busy error unloading ds and pcmcia_core.
This just happened this morning, and I tried kill -9 everything that might
be using networking, and it still wouldn't unload.  This would be really
nice to know, because right now I'm having all kinds of problems and the
only way I've been able to reset PCMCIA is to reboot.  It reminds me of
the last time I used Windows (circa 1999).

Now I'm getting all kinds of problems with wireless.  I don't know if I'm
getting massive interference or what...  I can't even connect to the local
machines without lockups every few seconds.  Kismet shows nothing on my
channel (at least no 802.11b gear). My wireless card is only 8 feet away
from the AP right now for testing, and I'm inside a room that is mostly
surrounded by metal walls.  There's no other wireless gear in the room
except the one AP and the one card.  I've used this card for months to the
same AP at 20 feet away and never dropped a packet.  Ugh.  When I switch
back to wired ethernet everything is fine.  I want to move the server to
another room though, and wireless would be more convenient.

Daniel