[lug] Gnome/KDE on Sarge

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 3 10:19:59 MDT 2004

Been working on a fresh Sarge install and can't get either kde or gnome
up.  I've installed Sarge several times in the past without trouble, but
this is my first try with the newest installer.  I believe I used to
just run tasksel to get X with kde and gnome going, but now tasksel puts
me into aptitude after selecting "manual package install."  I tried that
route without luck and have been trying apt-get.  X starts using any of
gdm/kdm/xdm, but I don't get a nice desktop after logging in, e.g.,
panel, menu's, etc. All I'm able to start is an xterm with the middle
mouse button.  A person here suggested that for some reason I didn't get
all the desktop configuration files copied to my home directory.  This
does seem to be the case, but I thought all the default files were
copied over the first time you logged into gnome or kde.  Is there a
package I need to install that is responsible for this?

Gary