[lug] Gnome/KDE on Sarge

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Fri Sep 3 10:44:16 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 10:19, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Been working on a fresh Sarge install and can't get either kde or gnome
> up.  I've installed Sarge several times in the past without trouble, but
> this is my first try with the newest installer.  I believe I used to
> just run tasksel to get X with kde and gnome going, but now tasksel puts
> me into aptitude after selecting "manual package install."  I tried that
> route without luck and have been trying apt-get.  X starts using any of
> gdm/kdm/xdm, but I don't get a nice desktop after logging in, e.g.,
> panel, menu's, etc. All I'm able to start is an xterm with the middle
> mouse button.  A person here suggested that for some reason I didn't get
> all the desktop configuration files copied to my home directory.  This
> does seem to be the case, but I thought all the default files were
> copied over the first time you logged into gnome or kde.  Is there a
> package I need to install that is responsible for this?

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment xfonts-base

this should set up gnome as your default desktop. Also try making a
.xsession in your home dir. Here is some info on .xsession

 http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/redhat6/gnome/pilot/installation.html
(look about halfway down)

good luck,
jd