[lug] DVD writing with growisofs (SOLVED)

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 3 16:24:38 MDT 2004

Timothy Klein wrote:

>On Friday 03 September 2004 12:47, Gary Hodges wrote:
>

>>Gary Hodges wrote:
>>

>>>I'm trying to write a large file (~4 GB) to a DVD using
>>>growisofs. The writing process (seemingly) proceeds along just
>>>fine, but the file isn't getting written correctly.  On a Windows
>>>machine the file shows up as the correct size, but only as ~8 MB
>>>on my Linux machine.  I've written other DVDs without trouble, it
>>>is just this one that is causing problems.
>>>

>>To write the 3.9 GB file to disk so that it can be read I used the
>>-udf option by itself.  A coworker found this suggestion somewhere.
>>
>>growisofs -Z /dev/sr2 -udf /home/hodges/dvd/
>>
>>The mkisofs manpage cautions using the -udf option as it is in
>>alpha status.  It gives funny ownerships as well.  There is
>>probably a better option.
>>

>Is there a reason why you can't use mkisofs?  I have used:
>
>mkisofs -dvd-video /vid-path/ -o iso.tmp
>
>For videos to play in my dvd player.  I have used mkisofs in its
>regular form (ISO9660 + Joliet and Rock Ridge) to just write data
>that my computer's dvd can read.  Both up to 4.7 GB.  (Actually, if I
>could afford double layer dvd-rs I could write 8.whatever GB, I
>think).

Hi Tim,

growisofs does use mkisofs.  The format is:

Running mkisofs by itself can be done, but it is not required.  The
standard options seen in growisofs examples use Joilet and Rockridge
options.  For some reason this was not working for me.  I write DVDs
with total data larger than 4.0 GB routinely without trouble, but this
was the first time I tried to write a single file this large.  I'm also
writing on +RW media which seems to have a set of separate issues.

Gary